Chapel Hill, Monmouthshire
Chapel Hill, a parish in Monmouthshire, on the river Wye, 5½ miles N of Chepstow. It contains Tintern Abbey. Pest town, Chepstow; money order and telegraph office, Tintem. Acreage, 1307; population, 462. There is a tin-plate manufactory. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £68. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 186G. There is a Wesleyan chapel. See TINTERN ABBEY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
|Registration district||Chepstow||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Chapel Hill from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Chepstow Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chapel Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chapel-Hill)
Online maps of Chapel Hill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: