Caldicot, a village, a parish, a stream, and a level in Monmouthshire. The village stands on the stream near the estuary of the Severn, 1½ mile W of Portskewett station on the G.W.R., and 6 miles SW of Chepstow, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish comprises 1971 acres, and 1307 acres of adjacent foreshore; population, 1293. The land is part of the low flat tract of Caldicot level. A stately castle with round towers, remarkable for the excellence of its masonry, partly Norman, but mostly Decorated English, stands adjacent to the village. It belonged to the Bohuns, passed to the Duke of Gloucester, and was annexed by Henry VIII. to the Duchy of Lancaster. Portion of the castle has been carefully restored, and is used as a residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; gross value, £185. Patron, Keble College, Oxford. The church is ancient, and has been restored, consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a bold tower, and has Decorated cinquefoils in the chancel. There is a mission chapel at Highmoor. Hill. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels. The Caldicot Wire and Tinplate Works are in this parish. The stream bears the name of Caldicot Pill, rises in Wentwood Chase, within 2½ miles of the Usk, and runs 7 miles south-south-eastward to the estuary of the Severn at Portskewett. The level lies along the Severn estuary and the Bristol Channel, extends about 11 miles to the mouth of the Usk, was at one time subject to continual inundation, was drained and brought into cultivation by the monks of Goldcliff, and is now a rich grazing tract. It is protected from the sea by a series of walls and dykes, which are under the control of a board sitting at Newport called the " Court of Sewers."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Caldicot St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
|Registration district||Chepstow||1837 - 1968|
|Registration district||Caerleon||1968 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Caldicot from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Caldicot (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: