Bettws Newydd, Monmouthshire
Bettws-Newydd, a parish in Monmouthshire, near the river Usk, 2 miles E of Nantyderry station on the G.W.R., and 4 N by W of Usk. It has a post office under Newport; money order and telegraph office, Usk. Acreage, 1129; population, 102. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Trostrey, in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £125. The church, which is an ancient Gothic building, has been restored, and contains a beautiful rood-loft of black oak. There are some magnificent yew trees in the churchyard.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
|Registration district||Abergavenny||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Bettws Newydd from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Abergavenny Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bettws Newydd from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bettws-Newydd)
Online maps of Bettws Newydd are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: