Aberystwth, a parish in Monmouth, 1 mile from Blaina station on the G.W.R., 9 miles WSW of Abergavenny. Post town, Blaina. Acreage, 11,753; population of the parish, 25,913; of the ecclesiastical district of Aberystruth St Peter, 8283. The surface is chiefly upland round the higher reaches of the Ebbw river. Collieries and iron and tin works, round Nant-y-glo, the Tillery Valley, and other centres, employ a great proportion of the inhabitants. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £300. The parish church of St Peter, a cruciform structure in the Norman style, was rebuilt in 1857. There is no village of Aberystruth, but the parish includes Blaina, Nant-y-glo, Abertillery, Cwmtillery, &c.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aberystwith St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Abergavenny|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aberystwth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aberystwith (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: