UK Genealogy Archives logo

St Teath, Cornwall

Historical Description

Teath, St, a parish in Cornwall, 3 miles SW of Camelford station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Camelford; telegraph office, Camelford. Acreage, 5905; population, 1703. There are two annual fairs. Nearly half of the property belongs to the Fortescue family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is of the time of Henry VII. and good; it has been well restored, and contains some handsome monuments. A large Celtic cross, 15 feet high, stands in the churchyard. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Governor Bligh, of the Bounty, was a native.

Delabole is in this parish, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R. The church is a stone building in the Early English style, and was erected in 1879. There are Wesleyan, Bible Christian, and Free Methodist chapels. The large and well-known slate quarries of the Old Delabole Slate Company are in the neighbourhood, and employ about 400 men and boys.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCornwall 
HundredTrigg 
Poor Law unionCamelford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Teath from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Teath are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL30
Post TownBodmin