Kingston Russell, Dorset
Kingston Russell, a quondam parish, now a hamlet or extra-parochial liberty in Dorsetshire, adjacent to Long Bredy, 8 miles W by N of Dorchester. A Roman station is supposed to have been here. Kingston Russell House stands in a sort of oasis among furze-clad hills, was for four centuries the seat of the Russells, ancestors of the Duke of Bedford, and is now a farmhouse. A church or chapel was formerly here, but has disappeared.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Whitchurch Canonicorum|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingston Russell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingston-Russell)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.
Online maps of Kingston Russell are available from a number of sites: