UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Faringdon, Dorset

Historical Description

Faringdon, a chapelry in Iwerne Courtney parish, Dorsetshire, 6½ miles SSW of Shaftesbury. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Iwerne Courtney, in the diocese of Salisbury.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDorsetshire 
DioceseBristol1542 - 1836
DioceseSalisbury1836 -

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Churches

Church of England

Faringdon Chapel (parish church)

The chapel here is a small building possessing no architectural features of any significance, but contains a remarkable old font, and at the east end a memorial window, erected by Mrs. Cox to her husband, who died 1882


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Dorset is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Faringdon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the Dorset County Chronicle and the Sherborne Mercury online.


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Dorset, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

Advertisement

Advertisement