Wiston, (Welsh, Casgwys), a small village and a parish in Pembrokeshire, 341 feet above sea-level, and considered to be the central parish in the county. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Clarbeston Road station on the G.W.R., and 5¼ NE of Haverfordwest; was originally called Gwyston or Gwiston; took that name from a castle built by Sir P. Gwys, the Norman; was attacked by the Welsh in 1146 and 1193; and passed to Gwgan-ap-Bleddyn and to the Wogans. The battle of Colby Moor was fought in 1645. Wiston is a borough governed nominally by a mayor; unites with Pembroke, Haverfordwest, Fishguard, Narberth, Milford, and Tenby in sending a member to Parliament; and has a post and money order office under Haverfordwest; telegraph office, Clarbeston Road. It has a fair on 8 Nov. The parish is conterminate with the borough. Acreage, 7186; population, 673. The manor belongs to the Earl of Cawdor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Davids; net value, £132 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Cawdor. The church is of the Decorated period, mixed with Norman, and was restored in 1865.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Haverfordwest||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Wiston from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Haverfordwest Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: