Slebech, a parish in Pembrokeshire, on the East Cleddau river, 5 miles E by S of Haverfordwest. Post town, Haverfordwest. Acreage, 4469 of land and 286 of water (including 264 of foreshore); population of the civil parish, 339; of the ecclesiastical, with Minwere and Newton, 415. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The manor belonged to a local commandery of Knights Hospitallers; passed to the Barlow, the Symmons, and the Philipps families; and with Slebech Hall belongs now to Baron de Rutzen. Slebech Hall occupies the site of the ancient commandery, and contains the sword which was used at the installation of the knights. Picton Castle is the residence of the baronet family of Philipps. The living is a vicarage, united with Minwere and Newton, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £300. Patron, Baron de Rutzen. The church is modern and in the Early English style.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Slebech are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: