Rhoscrowther, a parish in Pembrokeshire, on Milford Haven, 2 miles by water S of Old Milford, and 7 W of Pembroke. It has a post office under Pembroke; money order and telegraph office, Angle. Acreage, 2390, with 212 of foreshore; population, 168. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St Decumanus or Dagmur, is an ancient cruciform edifice with a square tower, and was restored in 1869. The remains of an ancient cross are in the churchyard. There were formerly three great houses in the parish-one at Eastinghorn, where are some Norman remains; one at Hentland, where was probably a religious house; and one at Kilpaison, where there may have been a cell in connection with some monastery or priory. Each of these houses had a mortuary chapel in the church, now forming the S chancel, N transept, and vestry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Pembroke||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Rhoscrowther are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: