Penally, a village and a parish in Pembrokeshire. The village stands on the coast, near Gilton Point, 1¼ mile SSW of Tenby. It is a pretty place, and has a station on the Pembroke and Tenby railway and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 2465 acres, with 133 of foreshore; population, 505. Penally House and The Abbey are the chief residences, the latter having been erected on the site of some monastic ruins. There is a hut encampment for rifle practice. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £58 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church stands embowered in trees, is old, cruciform, and good, and contains an altar-tomb to William de Haunton of the 13th century, and a Norman font; it was restored in 1850. The churchyard has an old cross. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Pembroke||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: