Newport, a small town and a parish in Pembrokeshire. The town stands at the head of a small bay of its own name, and at the mouth of the river Nevern, 6 miles E by N of Fishguard, and 10 SW by W of Cardigan; is known to the Welsh as Trefdraeth, signifying " sand town " or town on the beach, was founded either by Martin de Tours, first lord of Remes, or by his immediate followers; has a castle built by William, the son of Martin de Tours; was made an administrative centre of the territory conquered by Martin; rose to such prosperity as to monopolise most of the trade of Pembrokeshire; carried on extensive woollen manufacture at the beginning of the 16th century; suffered then such devastation by plague as occasioned the transference of much of its business to Fishguard, and went rapidly afterwards into decadence. It has a small harbour, the navigation of which is impeded by a bar. It consists of irregularly-built streets, engirt with wooded environs, is a seat of petty sessions, and ranks as a corporate town, but the corporation have no municipal functions. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), a weekly market on Friday, and fairs on 27 and 28 June and 16 and 17 Oct. The castle overlooks the town and the bay; was till recently a picturesque ruin; is now incorporated with a modern residence belonging to the lord of the manor; and retains a tower of the 13th century and a vaulted chamber, whose roof rests on a central Early Decorated English pier. The church was erected in the 13th century, and was restored in 1879. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. The parish comprises 4494 acres of land and 105 of foreshore; population, 1337. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; net value, £212 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Cardigan||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Narberth||1936 - 1973|
|Registration district||Haverfordwest||1973 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: