St Mellion, Cornwall
Mellion, St, a parish and a village in Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles W of the river Tamar at the boundary with Devonshire, 3 SSE of Callington, and 5¼ NW of Saltash station on the G.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2984; population, 285. Newton House belonged to the Ferrers, and passed, to the Corytons and the Hallyans. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £228 with residence. The church is Later English, has been well restored, and contains some curious effigies and armours of the Corytons of the 15th century. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A cattle fair is held on the last Thursday in March.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the following census returns for St. Mellion:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Mellion from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Mellion, St., or Mellyn)
Online maps of St Mellion are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.