Monkton, a parish in Pembrokeshire, on the Pembroke creek of Milford Haven, half a mile W of Pembroke. It is divided into Monkton Within and Monkton Without, and is partly within Pembroke borough. Post town, Pembroke. It comprises 4324 acres of land and 27 of water, 27 of adjacent tidal water, and 375 of foreshore; population, 1720. Under the Local Government Act, 1894, part of the parish was incorporated with the borough of Pembroke, and a new parish, called Hundleton, was created, which has a parish council consisting of nine members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; commutation value, £175. The church is chiefly Norman, and formed part of a Benedictine priory. It was restored in 1883 and 1889.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Pembroke||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Monkton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: