Mathry, a village and a parish in Pembrokeshire. The village stands near the coast, 6 miles SW of Fishguard, and 12 NNW of Haverfordwest; suffered devastation by the Danes, was once a market-town, and has a post office under Letterston (R.S.O.); money order office, Croesgoch; telegraph office, Letterston. A fair is held on 10 and 11 Oct. The parish contains also the villages of Abercastle and Castell Morris. Acreage, 7283; population, 704. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, consists of eleven members and one district councillor. A small harbour is at Abercastle. Slate is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £269 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Haverfordwest||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Mathry are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: