Llanwnda, a parish in Pembrokeshire, on the S side of Fishguard Bay, 2½ miles NW of Fishguard, and 15 NW by N of Clarbeston Road station on the G.W.R. It contains the village of Goodwick, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Carnarvon. The parish comprises 5828 acres, with 115 of adjacent foreshore; population, 918. A body of 1400 French troops under General Tate landed here in 1797, and were speedily overpowered by a body of yRomanry under Lord Cawdor. There are remains of ancient camps. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £223. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St David's. The church is cruciform, and has been restored. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel at Goodwick. Giraldus Cambrensis was rector of this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Haverfordwest||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llanwnda are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: