Lamphey, a parish in Pembrokeshire, 2 miles ESE of Pembroke. It has a station on the Pembroke and Tenby railway, and a post office under Pembroke; money order and telegraph office, Pembroke. Acreage, 1985; population, 271. The manor belonged formerly to the Owens, and, with Lamphey Court, belongs now to the Matthias family. The ruins of Llan Fydd, once the palace of the Bishop of St David's, stand within the garden of Lamphey Court, in the bottom of a valley sheltered from the sea-wind, and comprise a long vaulted great hall with an outside staircase, and part of a chapel with a fine Later English E window. The palace was partly built by Bishop Gower in 1335, was alienated to the Crown in the time of Henry VIII., was given by that monarch to Devereux, Viscount Hereford; and was inhabited for many years of his youth by the Earl of Essex, the favourite of Queen Elizabeth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £192. Patron, the Bishop of St David's.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lamphey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: