Dale, a fishing village and a parish in Pembrokeshire. The village stands on a westerly branch of Milford Haven, 11 miles W of Milford station on the G.W.R., and 14 SW of Haverfordwest. It has a post and money order office under Milford Haven; telegraph office, St Anne's Head. The Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., landed here with his French reinforcement; was joined here by the forces under Rhys ap Thomas; and marched hence to Bosworth Field. The parish comprises 2091 acres, with 280 of adjacent foreshore; population, 330. Dale Castle is the seat of the Philipps family. The parish is chiefly a peninsula terminating in St Anne's Head at the west side of the entrance of Milford Haven, but includes Skokholm Island. The scenery of the coast is highly picturesque. Two lighthouses were erected on St Anne's Head in the time of Queen Anne, and re-erected in 1800. The roadstead of Dale affords well-sheltered .anchorage in from 2 to 5 fathoms. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; value, £70. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Haverfordwest||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Dale from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Haverfordwest Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: