Burton, a parish in Pembrokeshire, on Milford Haven, at Pembroke Ferry, near New Milford, 3 miles N of Pembroke. It includes the villages of Burton and Houghton, and its post town is Haverfordwest. Acreage, 3468 of land, and 200 of water and foreshore; population, 1027. Benton Castle is a ruin, with a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Cawdor. The church dates from the 12th century, and has an interesting side chapel. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Pembroke||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Haverfordwest||1936 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Burton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: