UK Genealogy Archives logo

Angle or Nangle, Pembrokeshire

Historical Description

Angle or Nangle, a village and a parish in Pembrokeshire. The village stands on a nook or " angle " of the south side of Milford Haven, 9 miles W of Pembroke. It is now a small port and fishing village, but bears marks of having been a place of some importance in former ages, and contains some interesting ruins. There is an ancient fortified house, consisting of a square tower, known as the Old Rectory; it is roofless, but otherwise in excellent preservation. About 1½ mile distant is the East Blockhouse, built in the reign of Henry VIII. Angle has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Pembroke. The parish comprises 2319 acres of land and 695 of water and foreshore; population, 502. The chief residence is Angle Hall. Limestone is quarried. Angle Bay affords good anchorage. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; value, £84. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is ancient, and has been rebuilt; it has a detached chapel for .sailors in the graveyard. The living was once held by Giraldus Cambrensis, the historian.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyPembrokeshire 
ArchdeaconrySt. Davids 
County Court districtPembroke Dock 
DioceseSt. Davids 
Petty-Sessional DivisionCastlemartin 
Poor Law unionPembroke 
Rural DeaneryCastlemartin 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1763; marriages, 1755; and burials, 1784.


Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, with north aisle, nave, north transept, south porch, and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 2 bells; the church was repaired in 1860, and affords 300 sittings. In the churchyard is an ancient chapel, overgrown with ivy, and containing the recumbent effigy of a knight, removed from the church in 1860.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Angle or Nangle from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: