Ambleston, a parish in Pembrokeshire, on an affluent of the river Cleddau, 5 miles NNW of Clarbeston-road station on the G.W.R., and 7 NNE of Haverfordwest. It has a post office under Treffgame (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Letterstone. Acreage, 4072; population, 443. The Roman station Ad Vicesimum, on the Via Julia Maritima, occurs about a mile NE of the church, and bears popularly the name of Castle Flemish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Haverford West|
|Poor Law union||Haverford West|
|Registration district||Haverfordwest||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1755; burials, 1764; marriages, 1767.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western tower containing 2 bells: there are 140 Sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ambleston from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ambleston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: