Llanstephan, a village and a parish in Carmarthenshire. The village stands at the mouth of the river Towy, opposite Ferryside village and station on the G.W.R., and 8 miles SSW of Carmarthen; is embosomed in trees at the water's edge, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Carmarthen. The parish contains also the village of Llanybri. Acreage, 5135, with 1004 of adjacent tidal water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 1132; of the ecclesiastical, 794. The Plas and The Cottage are the chief residences. Llanstephan Castle stands conspicuously on a bold headland at the mouth of the Towy, is supposed to occupy the bite of either an ancient British or Roman fortalice, was built in 13 38 by the sons of a Merioneth prince, went soon into the possession of the Flemings and the Normans, was taken in 1145 by Ehys ap Gruffydd, resisted a siege while in his possession, was taken and dismantled in 1254 by Llewelyn ap Gruffyd, consists now of extensive ruined walls, and forms a picturesque object as seen from the opposite side of the river. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £140 with residence. The church is dedicated to St Stephen, is partly Norman, and contains monuments to the Lloyd, Parnall, and other families. The vicarage of Llanybri is a separate benefice. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanstephan from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: