Llangunnor, a parish in Carmarthenshire, on the river Towy, 1 mile E of Carmarthen. It contains the hamlets of Coedgain, Llandre, Velyndre, Penddailwyn, and Pencwm. Post town, Carmarthen. Acreage, 5820; population, 1036. Ty-gwyn, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Scurlock family, a daughter of whom was the second wife of Sir R. Steele. Penbugw is the seat of Mr Lewis Morris the author of the "Epic of Hades." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £246 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is dedicated to St Cynyr, stands among some fine old yew trees on a spot commanding a magnificent view of the valley of the Towy, is a small and primitive-looking edifice, and contains a monument to Steele.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangunnor from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llangunnor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: