Llangan, a parish in Carmarthenshire, on the river Taff, 2 miles WNW of Whitland station on the G.W.R., and 5½ NE by E of Narberth. It contains the village of Camvelin, and its post town is Whitland (R.S.O.) Acreage, 4715; population, 787. Whitland Abbey is a modern mansion, on the site of the monastic Abba Lauda. The monastic house, originated in a cell planted by Paulinus in the 5th century, was founded for Cistercian monks by Bishop Bernard in 1143, and is now represented by little else than some portions of clustered pillars. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £130 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is dedicated to St Canna.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Narberth||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llangan from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Narberth Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: