Llanfihangel-ar-Arth, a village and a parish in Carmarthenshire. The village stands on the river Teifi, at the boundary with Cardiganshire, 3 miles N of Peneader station on the Manchester and Milford railway, and the Carmarthen and Cardigan branch of the G.W.R., 3 E of Llandyssil, and 12 E of Newcastle Ernlyn, and has a bridge. It has a post office (R.S.O.); money order office, Pencadar; telegraph office, Llandyssil. Fairs are held on 1 Jan., 12 May, aud 10 Oct. The parish contains also the hamlets of Blaenan, Cwmarles, Gwyddil, Gwyddgrug, Pencader, and Vro. Acreage, 16,602; population, 2058. Hywel was defpated here in 1039 by Grufydd ab Llewelyn, and Henry II. received here in 1162 the submission of Rhys ab Grufydd. There are some barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £179 with residence. The church. commands a fine view.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Newcastle in Emlyn||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1935 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: