Haynes or Havnes, a village and a parish in Beds. The village stands 6 miles from Bedford, 3 W from Southill station, and 4 NE from Ampthill station on the M.R. It has a post office under Bedford; money order office, Clophill; telegraph office, Southill railway station. Area of the parish, 2607 acres; population, 836. The manor belonged to the Newdegates, passed to the Carterets, and belongs to the Thynne family. Haynes Park is a fine mansion, standing in a park of 800 acres. Grange Farm belonged to Chicksands Priory, and is an interesting old edifice, with a fine staircase. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £320 with residence. The church, a building in the Early Decorated style, was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1850. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haynes St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1596.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Haynes: Baptisms 1596-1987, Marriages 1596-1992, Burials 1596-1989, Banns 1754-1793, 1825-1946. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, and enlarged in 1850 by the late Rev. Lord John Thynne D.D. d. 9 Feb. 1881, is an elegant structure in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, memorial chapel to Anne Constantia (Beresford) wife of Lord John Thynne, nave, aisles, with vestry beyond, south porch and an embattled tower: at the north side of the chancel there are three stained windows and one in the west end of the church in memory of Mrs. Thynne, besides one in the south of the chancel in memory of the Rev. Arthur E. D. Osborne B.A . vicar 1878-87: beneath the south aisle is the vault of the Carteret family.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Haynes was in Ampthill Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haynes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haynes, or Hawnes (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Haynes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Haynes was in Ampthill Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Ampthill Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Ampthill Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cNorthwood End
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.