Llanarthney, a village and a parish in Carmarthenshire. The village stands on the river Towy, 7 miles E of Llandilo, and 8 WSW of Carmarthen, and has a station on the Central Wales and Carmarthen Junction branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office at the railway station. The parish comprises 11,057 acres of land and 102 of water; population of the civil parish, 192 6; of the ecclesiastical, 941. The parish council is composed of fifteen members. Dryslwyn Castle was one of the Edwardian fortalices, erected by one of the princes of the house of Dynevor, and is now represented by extensive earthworks and ivy-clad walls on the top of a high hill. Middleton Hall is a chief residence. A monument to Nelson, in the form of a triangular tower, is in the grounds, and was erected by Sir William Paxton, who formerly owned Middleton Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £195 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is ancient, was partially restored in 1682, and has an ancient stone cross. The steeple is a perfect specimen of the ancient British architecture in the county, of about the 7th century date. There are Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanarthney from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: