Laugharue (pronounced Lame), a small town, a township, and a parish in Carmarthenshire. The town stands at the influx of the rivulet Corran to the estuary of the Taff, 5 miles SSE of St Clears station on the G.W.R., and 13½ SW of Carmarthen; was anciently called Abercorran; was afterwards called Tal Llacharn, then simply Llacharn; has a ruined Norman castle, which gave occasion to its change of name; was incorporated by charter of Sir Guido de Brian about the year 1300; is governed nominally by a portreeve, recorder, and other officers, who do not, however, exercise any civil or criminal jurisdiction; consists chiefly of one long street, well-built and clean; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Clears, and a town-hall. The castle was built soon after the Norman Conquest; was destroyed in 1215 by Llewelyn ap lorwerth; was rebuilt by Sir Guido de Brian; was taken in 1644 by General Laugharne; was takeu again in 1645, after three weeks' siege, by Cromwell; was. then dismantled; presents now a massive appearance, quadrangular and ivy-clad, with round towers at the corners;. and is enclosed, a modern residence having been built on part of the ground. The church is Early English and cruciform, was restored in 1874, and contains monuments of the Laughames, and one of Judge Powell, one of the judges. of the Seven Bishops. Acreage of the township, 2987 of land and 4171 of water, including 308 tidal water and 3779-foreshore; population, 1109. The parish comprises 5639 acres of land and 1531 of water, including 31 of tidal water and 1495 of foreshore; population of the civil parish, 401', of the ecclesiastical, 1662. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Llansadumen, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchest er. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Wesleyan, and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Laugharne from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: