St Ishmael, Carmarthenshire
Ishmael, St, a parish in Carmarthenshire, on the river Towy and Carmarthen Bay, 3½ miles NW of Kidwelly, and 8-½ SSW of Carmarthen. It contains the hamlets of Broad-laey, Hall, Iscoed, Llansaint, Treforis, and Ystrad, and the bathing village of Ferryside, the last of which has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (K.S.O.) Acreage, 3583 of land, 140 of tidal water, and 939 of foreshore; population, 1315. Iscoed is the chief residence. Fishing and cockle gathering are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £'20 2 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, stands close to the shore, and has been very beautifully restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in St Ishmael from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Online maps of St Ishmael are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: