Ferryside, a village in St Ishmael parish, Carmarthenshire, on the river Towy, near its mouth, 4 miles NW of Kid-welly. It has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) It is a pretty place; overlooks a great expanse of tidal sand; is a rising wateringplace, frequented by the people of Carmarthen and neighbouring town; and possesses the recommendations of beautiful situation, pure air, excellent bathing ground, and command of excursions. '-An extensive cockle fishery is carried on. There is a chapel of ease to St Ishmael parish church, and there are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Congregational chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ferryside are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: