UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St John, Cornwall

Historical Description

John, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands at the head of a branch of the Hamoaze, called St John's lake, opposite Devonport town, 7 miles from St German's station on the G.W.R. The parish extends to the English Channel, and comprises 732 acres; population, 194. Post town, Devonport. The manor formerly belonged to the Champemowns, and belongs now to the Earl of Mount Edg-cumbe. In the cliff overlooking Wliitesands Bay is an excavation called Shan-ow Grotto, formed in 1874. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £200 with residence. The church measures 56 feet by 18, and was restored in 1868. There is a Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


Online maps of St John are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:

Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtPL11
Post TownTorpoint