Con-wil or Conwyl, Conwil Elfed, or Conwill-in-Elvet, a village and a parish in Carmarthenshire. The village stands on the river Gwili, 6 miles NW by N of Carmarthen, and has a station (Conwil) on the Carmarthen and Cardigan branch of the G.W.R., and a post office (Conwyl-Elfed, R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Carmarthen. Acreage, 13,100; population, 1567. There are a large British camp, a remarkable earthwork, called the Line, about 18 feet high and IJ mile long, and fragments of one of the largest crom-lechs in Wales. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Abernant, in the diocese of St David's. The church is good, and there are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Conwyl from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: