St Clare, Carmarthenshire
Clears, St, or St Clare, a small market-town and a parish in Carmarthenshire. The town stands on the river Taf, 8½ miles WSW of Carmarthen, and has a station on the South Wales section of the G.W.R., and a head post office. It was formerly a municipal borough, and is a seat of petty sessions. On the dissolution of the corporation in 1889 its property was tranStrred to the Charity Commissioners, and is administered by town trustees. There is a town-hall, and a branch of the London and Provincial Bank. Bricks and drain-pipes are manufactured; there is also a large butter factory and a brewery. A market for butter is held on Fridays, and a stock market on the first Tuesday in each month. This market is regarded as the largest in South Wales. Fairs are held on 13 and 14 May, 12 Aug., and 12 Oct. A castle and a Cluniac priory once stood here. The town was the headquarters of the Rebecca rioters in 1843. The parish comprises 2642 acres; population, 937. Penycoed is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £160 -with residence. The church is Norman, and there are Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in St Clare from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: