Llechryd, a village and a parish in Cardiganshire. The village stands on the river Teifi, at the boundary with Pembrokeshire, 2 miles NE of Kilgerran station on the Whitland and Cardigan branch of the G.W.R., and 3 SE of Cardigan; is a pleasant place, and a resort of anglers. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (K.S.O.), and a bridge over the river. A large weir, formerly preventing salmon from ascending the river, was destroyed in 1844 by a large body of the Rebecca rioters. The village had once a tin-plate factory. The parish comprises 748 acres; population, 300. A battle was fought here in 1087 between Ehys ab Twdwr and the sons of Bleddin ab Cynfyn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, s£120 with residence. The church is dedicated to St Tydfil, and was erected in 1876. The old church is disused. There are Congregational and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Cardigan||1837 - 1934|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llechryd from 1837 to 1934 you should search for the Cardigan Registration District.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llechryd are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: