St Hilary, Cornwall
Hilary, St, a parish in Cornwall, near Mount's Bay, 3 miles E by 6 of Marazion Road station on the G.W.R, and 5 E by N of Penzance. It adjoins the extra-parochial tract of St Michael's Mount, and includes the town of Marazion. It has a post office under Marazion; money order and telegraph office, Marazion. Acreage, 2923; population of the civil parish, 956; of the ecclesiastical, 2298. Granite and slate are the chief rocks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £360 with residence. The church stands on high ground, forms a conspicuous landmark, and contains monuments of the Godolphins and others. The perpetual curacy of Marazion is a separate benefice. There are several dissenting chapels. Palmer the Nonconformist and Hitchins the astronomer were vicars.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penzance|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Hilary from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hilary, St.)
Online maps of St Hilary are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.