Llanrhystyd, a village and a parish in Cardiganshire. The village stands at the mouth of the river Wayrai, 7 miles SSW of Llanrhystyd Road station on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 9 SSW of Aberystwyth, and it has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish is divided into the townships of Haminiog and Mefenydd. Acreage of Llanrhystyd Haminiog, 4736; population, 698. Acreage of Llanrhystyd Mefenydd, 3950; population, 463. Mabus is a chief residence. An ancient castle, called Dinerth, was taken in 1135 by Owen Gwynedd; was taken again in 1150 by Rhys ap Grufydd; and was taken again and destroyed in 1199 by Maelgwn ap Ehys. A monastic establishment stood at Mynachty. The parish was invaded in 988 by the Danes. Part of its coast consists of lofty mural cliffs, cut by fissures and pierced with caves. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £255 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church is dedicated to St Ehystyd, and is modern and graceful.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: