Llanio, a township in Llanddewi Brefi parish, Cardiganshire, on the river Teifi, and the Sarn Helen Way, 2¼ miles SW of Tregaron. It has a post office of the name of Llanio Road (R.S.O.), under Tregaron; money order and telegraph office, Tregaron. Acreage, 1219; population, 124. The Roman station Loventium was here, and Roman inscriptions, coins, bricks, and pottery have been found. Foundations of an ancient building, 150 feet by 72, were discovered in a field called Caer Castell.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Tregaron||1837 - 1934|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llanio are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: