UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llaufihangel y Creuddyn, Cardiganshire

Historical Description

Llaufihangel-y-Creuddyn or Llanfihangel-y-Croyddyn, a village, two townships, and a parish in Cardiganshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ystwyth, 3 miles NE of Llanilar station on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 7½ SE by E of Aberystwyth, and has a post office under Aberystwyth; money order office, Crosswood; telegraph office, Llanilar. The townships are Lower and Upper Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn. Acreage of Lower Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, 6638; population, 673. Acreage of Upper Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, 16,623; population, 1126. The parish consists of the two townships, and it includes the chapelry of Eglwys Newydd, which is conterminate with Upper Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, and has been separately noticed. The living is a vicarage, with Llantrisaint annexed, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £114 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. There are two Calvinistic chapels, with two small branch chapels, and two Wesleyan chapels in the parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: