Gwonws or Llanwmrws, Cardiganshire
Gwonws or Llanwmrws, a parish in Cardiganshire. on the river Ystwith, 6½ miles N of Tregaron, and 12 SE of Aberystwith. It consists of the two townships of Lower Gwnnws and Upper Gwnnws. Post town, Aberystwith. Area of Lower Gwnnws, 3185 acres; population, 222. Area of Upper Gwnnws, 6229 acres; population, 532. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 882. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Llanafan-y-Traws-coed, in the diocese of St David's; joint gross value, £228. A monumental stone, to the memory of a prince called Caradoc, is in the churchyard with a Latin inscription. The church is dedicated to St Gnynas, a Welsh saint of the 5th century.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gwonws or Llanwmrws are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: