Eglwys Newydd, Cardiganshire
Eglwys-Newydd, an ecclesiastical district of Llanfihangel-y-Creiddyu parish, Cardiganshire, on the river Ystwyth, 7½ miles E of Trawscoed station on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 16 ESE of Aberystwith. Population, 706. Hafod Lawns here belonged to the Herbert family, passed by marriage to the family of Johnes, and afterwards to the Duke of Newcastle, Sir H. Hoghton, Mr W. Chambers, and Mr J. Waddingham, whose second son is the present owner. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £126. The church was built in 1803 on the site of a previous decayed edifice, and contains a fine monument to one of the Johnes family.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: