Hope, a village and a parish in Flintshire. The village stands on the river Alyn, near Watt's Dyke and Offa's Dyke, 5½ miles SE by E of Mold; is included in the parliamentary borough of Caergwrle, whose centre is a mile distant; belonged at Domesday to Gislebert, afterwards to the Earls of Chester, the Stanleys, and others; was a place of some importance in the time of Edward the Black Prince, by whom a charter was granted; and has a fine old bridge over the Alyn. There is a post office under Mold; money order and telegraph office, Caergwrle; and a station at the junction of the Chester and Mold section of the L. & N.W.B. with the Wrexham, Mold, and Connah's Quay railway. The parish includes the contributory parliamentary borough of Caergwrle, and the townships of Cymmau, Estyn, Hope Owen, Ehanberfedd, Shordley, Uwch-y-Mynydd Isaf, and Uwch-y-Mynydd Uchaf, and is sometimes called Queen's Hope or Estyn. Acreage, 2849; population, 4008. Hope Castle, on the summit of a lofty rock, is of unknown origin; it belonged in the time * of Owen Gynedd to Gryffdd Maelor, was given by Edward I. to Queen Eleanor, and consists now of a mutilated circular tower and a few fragments of walls. Caer-Estyn, an ancient British post, is on a confronting eminence. Roman coins tiles, bricks, and other relics, have been found. Limestone-is worked, and has afforded many interesting fossils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value— £365 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church has a monument to Sir John Trevor, comptroller of the navy in the time of Elizabeth. There is a Presbyterian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Wrexham||1837 - 1871|
|Registration district||Chester||1871 - 1902|
|Registration district||Hawarden||1903 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: