UK Genealogy Archives logo

Dyserth or Diserth, Flintshire

Historical Description

Dyserth or Diserth, a parish in Flintshire, near the sea, the river Clwyd, and the vale of Clwyd, 2½ miles E by N of Rhuddlan station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NNE of St Asaph. It has a post and money order office under Rhyl; telegraph office, Prestatyn. Acreage, 3883; population, 735. Lead mining is carried on at Talargoch. An ancient castle, said to be a Norman structure, stood on a lofty scarped rock, was defended on one side by a deep fosse cut in the solid rock, was strengthened in 1241 by Henry III., was demolished about 1261 by the Welsh under Llewelyn, and it is now represented by only a few fragments. An oblong double, transepted, ivy-clad building called Siambre-Wen, or " the white chamber," stands immediately below the castle rock, and is regarded by some antiquaries as an ecclesiastical edifice, by others as the residence of the later constables of the castle, and by others as an enclosure over a holy well. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; gross value, £394 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church has part of a Jesse window, and contains memorials of the Conways of the 17th century, and the churchyard contains some remarkable ancient tombstones, and a mutilated sculptured ancient cross. There are Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: