UK Genealogy Archives logo

St Dominick, Cornwall

Historical Description

Dominick, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Tamar, at the boundary with Devonshire, 3 miles SE of Callington, and 8 N by W of Snitash station on the G.W.R. It has a post and telegraph office under St Mellion (R.S.O.); money order office, Callington. Acreage, 3180; population, 781. Halton here was the birthplace of Rons, the friend of Cromwell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £400. The church is a plain stone building in the Perpendicular style, and has 270 sittings. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels. Dupath Well or baptistery is in this parish; it is a small rectangular structure of granite, and has been carefully restored by Lady Ashburton. A cattle fair is held on the first Thursday after 12 May.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCornwall 
HundredEast 
Poor Law unionLiskeard 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Census Records

We have transcribed the following census returns for St. Dominick:


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Dominick from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Dominick are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL12
Post TownSaltash