Llansilin, a parish in Denbighshire, and a township in Salop. The parish lies on the river Cynlleth, adjacent to the boundary with Salop, 3½ miles W of Offa's Dyke, and 6 WSW of Oswestry, and has a post and money order office under Oswestry; telegraph office, Llangedwyn. It contains also the townships of Bodlith, Estynallan, Lledrode, Lloran, Moelfre, Priddbwil, Isfoel Rhiwias, Uchfoel Ehiwias, and Sycharth in Denbighshire, and the township of Sychtyn in Salop. Acreage of the Denbighshire portion, 16,170; population, 1548; acreage of Sychtyn township, 1459; population, 150; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1067. The manor belonged to Einion Evell, from whom several families in this neighbourhood have descended. Glascoed, once the seat of the Williams family, now belongs to the Wynns, Sycharth belonged to Owain Glyndwr, Plas Newydd at one time to the Myddletons, and Penybont to the Maurices. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is dedicated to St Silin, has been beautifully restored, acquired a fine stained window in 1866, and contains monuments of the Maurices, the Wynns, and others.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Oswestry||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Wrexham||1935 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: