UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llangwm, Denbighshire

Historical Description

Llangwm, a township and a parish in Denbighshire, The township lies on an affluent of the river Dee, 7¼ miles W by N of Corwen, and has a post office, of the name of Llangwm, under Corwen; money order and telegraph office, Cerrig-y-Druidion. The parish contains also the townships of Cefn Cymer, Disgarth, Llan, Llysdimel, Molfre, Nant Haulog, Penyfoed, and Rhos-y-Mambrych. Acreage, 10,077; population of the civil parish, 816; of the ecclesiastical, 820. Much of the surface is mountainous with good sheep pasturage. A battle was fought within the parish in the 10th century, between Eidwal and Meredydd, princes of Wales. The living is a vicarage, united with Dinmael, in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. There are two churches, the parish and St Catherine's; also Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtCorwen1837 - 1935
Registration districtHiraethog1935 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: