Llangollen, a small market-town, a vale, and a parish in Denbighshire. The town stands on the river Dee, on a branch of the Ellesmere Canal, 2 miles E of the boundary with Merionethshire, 6 NW of Chirk, and 26 NW of Shrewsbury. It is a pleasant place amid remarkably beautiful environs; presents a clean, well-arranged, and prosperous appearance, and is much frequented by tourists, both for the sake of the scenery around it and as a starting-centre for great part of North Wales. It is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and has a head post office, a station on the G.W.R., a bank, a town-hall, a large market-hall, a remarkable bridge, and a cottage hospital. The town-hall and market-hall were erected in 1865. The bridge was built about 1345 by Bishop Trevor, figures in popular estimation as one of the seven wonders of North Wales, and is a singular structure with four pointed arches-the two middle ones smaller than the two end ones. The church is dedicated to St Collen, has a good carved oak roof of Late Perpendicular date, said to have been brought from the abbey of Vaue Crucis, and was enlarged by the addition of chancel and S aisle in 1865. The churchyard contains a monument to Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Ponsonby, who resided in the neighbouring cottage ornee of Plas Newydd, acquired great local reputation as the " maids of Llangollen," and died in 1829 and 1831. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, Calvinistic Methodist, and Congregational chapels. A weekly market is held on Saturday, and brewing, flannel making, and woollen cloth making are carried on. Population of the town, 3225.
The vale extends about 8 miles E and W from Eglwyseg Vale to Wynnstay; bears the alternative name of Glyndwrdwy; is richly diversified in its own features along both sides, and flanked or overhung by mountains; has long been noted, among tourists, as presenting the loveliest and most romantic series of views in Wales; but disappoints the expectation of some travellers, when seen in unpropitious weather, under disadvantageous lights, or from ill-chosen stand-points. Two objects of great interest in it are an aqueduct carrying the Llangollen branch of the Ellesmere Canal over the Dee- 2600 feet long and 126 high, constructed in 1795-1805 by Telford, at a cost of £47,000-and a railway viaduct 1531 feet long; and other objects of interest are Eliseg Pillar, 8 feet high, Valle Crucis Abbey ruins, Llantysilio Hall, the Eglwyseg rocks, Castell-Dinas-Bran, perched on an eminence 1000 feet above the river, Trevor Hall, Pengwern, Plas-y-Pentre, and the Waterloo Tower, erected to commemorate the victory of Waterloo.
The parish is cut into the divisions of Llangollen Traian and Glyn Traian. Llangollen Traian comprises the townships of Llangollen Abbots, Llangollen Fawr, Llangollen Fechan, Bache, Cysyllte, Dinbren, Eglwys Egle, Pengwem, Rhysgog, Trevor Issa, Trevor Ucha, and Vivod. Acreage, 14,566; population, 5546. Glyn Traian comprises the townships of Cilcychwyn, Crogen Iddon, Croggen-Ladys, Erwallo, Havodgynfawr, Nantygwrd, and Talygarth. Acreage, 7830; population, 935. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £224 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The living of Pontfadog or Glyn Traian is a vicarage, in the gift of the Vicar of Llangollen; net value, £133 with residence.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llangollen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: