Llanelidan, a village and a parish in Denbighshire, near the head of the vale of Clwyd, adjacent to the boundary with Merionethshire. The village lies one mile SE of Nantclwyd station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5½ miles S by W of Ruthin. It has a post office under Ruthin (R.S.O.); money order office, Ruthin; telegraph office, Nantclwyp railway station. Acreage of parish, 5223; population, 700. Nantclwyd Hall is a fine Jacobean mansion, enlarged in 1876 at a cost of £20,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is dedicated to St Elidan, is ancient and good, and contains monuments of the Thelwalls and the Kenricks. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Ruthin||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanelidan from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Ruthin Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llanelidan are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: