Gwytherin, a village and a parish in Denbighshire. The village stands on the river Elwy, under the Hiraethrog Hills, 5½ miles E by S of Llanrwst, and was the place of St Winifred's retreat and death. It has a post office under Llanrwst (R.S.O.); money order office, Llanrwst; telegraph office, Llan-fair Talhaiam. The parish comprises 5966 acres; population, 276. Much of the surface is moor and mountain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £122 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church was originally built in connection with the retreat-place or nunnery of St Winifred, and it contains two rude wooden chests, enclosing a portion of St Winifred's coffin. Four upright stones in the churchyard, one of them with a slight inscription, mark the alleged site of St Winifred's grave.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanrwst||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Hiraethog||1935 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: