Derwen, a parish in Denbighshire, which contains the two townships of Dyfaned to the west and Ysgeifiog to the east. They lie on the river Clwyd, at the boundary with Merionethshire, 5 miles N by W of Corwen, with a station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Corwen. The parish comprises 3912 acres; population, 486. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St David's. The church stands in the village nearly at the top of a lofty hill, and contains a fine rood loft of the 10th century. The churchyard contains an ancient cross 13½ feet high.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Ruthin||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Derwen from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Ruthin Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Derwen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: