Ysbytty, a village in Carnarvonshire, and a parish partly also in Denbighshire. The village stands on the river Con-way, 6 miles SE of Bettws-y-Coed. It had anciently a Knights Templars preceptory, founded in 1159 by Ivan ap Rhys, and used as a hospitium for travellers; was afterwards the headquarters of a band of robbers, who devastated all the surrounding country till put down by Meredydd ap Ivan; is sometimes called distinctively Ysbytty Ivan; and has six annual fairs, and a post office under Conway; money order and telegraph office, Pentre Voelas. The parish contains Eidda township in Carnarvonshire, and Gwemihowel, Tir Ivan, and Trebrys townships in Denbighshire. Acreage, 17,731; population, 791. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £189 with residence. Patron, Lord Penrhyn. The church has been rebuilt, and contains ancient monuments. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ysbytty are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: